We are looking for people with operational, on the ground experience and transferable skills.
1. JOB PURPOSE
In July 2022, Birmingham will host the XXII Commonwealth Games, the largest multi-sport event to be held in England in 10 years. Approximately 6,500 athletes and team officials from 72 nations and territories across the Commonwealth will come together in a 12-day celebration of sport and culture. Events will take place across Birmingham and the West Midlands, entertaining more than one million ticketed spectators and reaching a global broadcast audience of more than one billion.
Each of the signatories to the Host City Contract (HCC); the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), UK Government, Birmingham City Council and Commonwealth Games England (CGE) together with the Organising Committee (OC) have key roles role in the planning and delivery of the 2022 Commonwealth Games, both individually and collectively.
The parties to the HCC have established Birmingham Organising Committee for the 2022 Commonwealth Games Ltd as the Organising Committee (‘OC’). The scope of the OC’s role is broad and complex and ranges from ensuring the physical readiness of the venues and temporary facilities, to the planning, coordination and delivery of more than 40 Functional Areas (FAs) (including Transport, Security, Logistics etc) to meet the needs of the Games and it’s client groups (including athletes and technical officials, spectators, press, broadcasters, Games Family) and stakeholders.
The Security Workforce Lead will be responsible for assisting the Security Workforce Manager in the design, development and implementation of the required plans, policies and actions to successfully deliver the contracted & voluntary Games-time Security workforce. The role will require the post holder to work closely with multiple stakeholders and produce resourcing models to ensure that the operational staffing logistics are maintained to achieve their workforce development and delivery milestones.
2. Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities Responsibilities of the role will evolve during the lifespan of the Organising Committee and it is likely that the role profile will evolve with the changing needs of the organisation.
- Lead on an innovative workstream with key stakeholders and appropriate agencies to scope, identify, train, equip and deploy a significant number of security contractors during Games time.
- Support the Organising Committee (OC) in the monitoring and management of all contract workforce providers by engaging directly with them regarding their requirements for workforce delivery (training, familiarisation, scheduling, and deployment, etc)
- Continuously liaise with the OC’s key workforce delivery partners (West Midlands Police, training institutions, Armed Forces etc)
- Work with the Organising Committee key stakeholders to ensure that the Security Workforce Planning creates a legacy of qualified personnel within the West Midlands and elsewhere.
- Liaise with the Organising Committee (OC) wide workforce functional area, as required.
- Build the effective working relationships across all Games-time security workforce stakeholders needed to deliver.
- Work with internal security functional staff to define, design and communicate workforce requirements for their venues to contracted providers.
- Development of efficient systems for the integration of all security workforce and staffing processes, including rostering, scheduling, and post-shift invoice reconciliations.
- During Games-time, provide daily management reporting across all venues
- Assist in the training of VSMs and other OC paid staff in the management of industry workforces
- Assist in the training design and delivery of Games-time role training for contract security workforces
- Represent the OC and Security function in multi-stakeholder forums
- Identify gaps and overlaps in contracted workforce delivery and provide viable solutions.
- Contribute to workforce contingency planning and solution development
- Act as an ambassador for the Organising Committee in all matters related to Security, both externally and internally
a) Skills and experience required
Area ESSENTIAL Desirable Qualifications
- Relevant education/professional qualifications
- Membership of an appropriate professional body.
- CIPD Workforce Planning qualifications or similar
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary organisation and to build active, cooperative partnerships with external organisations in an integrated manner
- Proven skills and experience in analysing and acting on potential conflicts of interest in relation to interactions with other security stakeholders and, particularly, in relation to commercial providers and contractors
- A strong understanding of the WFM life cycle including forecasting, capacity planning, and scheduling
- Demonstrable strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills, the ability to influence others and manage relationships
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, frequently under pressure, on multiple tasks
- Able to build credibility, respect, and trust with others through depth of understanding and knowledge
- Makes a real effort to understand others’ roles and objectives
- Collaborates effectively to ensure delivery of mutual objectives
- Builds co-operative and positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Uses judgement to assess levels of risk
- Meets milestones and is committed to achieving positive results
- High level of organisation skills and experience in managing demanding projects simultaneously
- Considers impact of decisions on individuals, wider organisation and commercially
- Focuses on continual improvement and on what is best for the team/organisation
- Tenacious and seeks to overcome obstacles and challenges
- Provides creative and innovative solutions
Knowledge & Experience
- Recognised expertise and credibility in workforce planning.
- Contract management experience and a track record of ensuring that suppliers deliver on time and within budget
- Recognised expertise and knowledge of the British security environment
- Competent and experienced in translating multiple client requirements into security operations
- Proven experience utilising exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to project manage and resolve issues
- Significant experience in managerial level Security related roles
- Demonstrated experience in managing a complex workforce
- Competent and experienced in a management role in the Security function for high-profile, multi-sport Games environment or equivalent
- Recognised expertise and credibility in Security planning with direct practical experience of large high profile and high threat events
- A good understanding of major UK security operators and providers.
- Recognised expertise and experience in Security aspects of event planning and delivery at international level
- An understanding of the Armed Forces Covenant and how that is applicable to workforce planning
b) Personal Qualities
- Embraces diversity and displays respect and loyalty to colleagues, the organisation and partners
- Engages effectively, and is helpful and supportive towards others
- Highly collaborative, taking the time to engage with team members
- Reliable and committed to success of the team
- Embraces change and is adaptable
- Able to multitask and willing to take on additional roles and tasks
Commitment and results delivery
- Natural communicator at all levels, approachable and knowledgeable
- Open and transparent but also maintains trust and confidentiality
- Prepared to challenge information and bureaucracy
- Embraces and absorbs new information
- Comes up with ideas and communicates these to others
- Displays the highest levels of integrity and commitment with an ability to deliver excellent results
- Ability to plan ahead and manage time effectively
- Deals with ambiguity, flexible and creative approach to delivery
- Resilient and positive through change and adapts positively
- Takes accountability and ownership of tasks and problems
- Tenacious and seeks to overcome obstacles and challenges
- Meets milestones and is committed to achieving a positive result
- Uses initiative to resolve matters within control and understands when to pass on relevant issues or incidents
- Comes up with ideas and shares these with the team
- Follows rules and guidelines
- Provides quality work that is fit for purpose
Motivation and drive
- Self-motivated and proud to be part of the experience
- Demonstrates enjoyment in their work
- Professional, polite, and approachable manner
- Positive attitude and optimistic
- Resilient, calm and in control of emotions;
For more information and to apply, please email email@example.com